MOUNTS MCKINLEY AND FORAKER AND FAIRBANKS IN PHOTOS

I missed posting these when I wrote about stopping in Fairbanks and spending time with my friend, Ron...what a fun and interesting day!  Thanks again, Ron = )


Beautiful view of Mounts McKinley and Foraker on the flight between Anchorage and Fairbanks.

The terminal at Fairbanks International Airport

I'm pretty sure this used to be View Crest, watching my Dad hand tool the wooden signs over the years that have eventually been replaced with this one.  A wonderful place to grow up, 2.5 miles out on the Steese Highway.  See the small view of the magnificent birch trees that grow in abundance in Fairbanks?

Shot of a portion of the large facility at the Birch Hill Recreation Center where the system of cross country ski trails, named after Ron's and my high school skiing and running coach, begin.  Ron wrote several weeks ago that the Junior Nationals were being held here.

Very fun memories of Coach Whisenhant and his wife, Betsy.  I remember him being relentless in insisting that we keep skiing around the track behind Lathrop HS...tired and cold, he wasn't coaching quitters.  I learned many valuable lessons during that time.  

So great seeing Ron again after 40 years.  Looking forward to putting on some skiis and racing.  I'm pretty sure I know who'll win!    

Ron pointing out part of the course.  

Photos of competitions.

Scott passed away as a young adult.  A great loss to the community.  Scott's father, Judge Taylor, taught me how to ski.  I thought I'd never master it, but finally did and enjoyed four years of competing in Fairbanks and then in Anchorage.  Many memories of times on the trails with his daughter, Carla and sons, Warren and Scottie.

...time marches on = )

...and on...

Looking out on the trails...where are our skiis, Ron?  Too short of a layover this time!

Inside the large facility where the Junior Nationals were recently held.  

Flying home...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR

DODGING MUD PUDDLES AND PASSING PROBATION