LAST DAY OF BIKING…GRINDING TO A HALT

I had a little bit of heavy heart as I lifted my bike frame into the large dumpster outside my apartment building.  I’d ridden it, including wheels and tires, almost every day since buying it from a friend in April and had loved our adventures on the ice, snow and muddy pot-holed roads here in Barrow.  I’m guilty of being an irresponsible bike owner though, this becoming very apparent several weeks ago when I could feel a curious, not easy to pin point, sort of resistance while pedaling--something I hadn’t felt before.  A day earlier it had ridden like a dream.

In self-defense, there are no car washes in Barrow, and no hoses outside of apartment buildings or homes where one might wash a bike.  Mine had been caked in mud for some time.  I’d managed to keep the chain oiled, but outside of this small bit of maintenance, had not done anything else.  I’d planned on bringing it into my shower for a good washing after the ground froze and the snow covered the mud, but that hadn’t happened yet—it was still pretty muddy.

After just about grinding to a halt in front of my apartment building, I carried the bike upstairs, took off both wheels and gave the frame, sprockets, derailleur and chain their long overdue bath, realizing that I could hook up the hose I use for filling my small washing machine in the kitchen to the faucet in the bathroom.  What I discovered was that this particular bike had a crank case that is not completely sealed, allowing water and mud to infiltrate where the ball bearings are housed.  I contemplated ordering tools and taking the crank case apart, but changed my mind when I noticed that more than a few teeth on the largest sprocket were badly bent, most likely from pedaling up and down the muddy, grassy hills here this summer as well as pedaling lately with damaged ball bearings.    

I looked online and was surprised to find that this particular bike could be purchased at Walmart for a mere $89.  It handled beautifully, as well, if not better, than the more expensive bikes I’ve owned in Washington. Friends here and family in other places sympathized, the ones here offering me the use of their bikes that they weren’t riding and my son, Peter, asking if I’d send it down for him to have repaired in Washington.  

Factoring in the inexpensive value along with the labor it would take to replace the bearings and sprockets, I salvaged the water bottle holder, the original and the REI snow tires, and the reflectors and said good bye as I carried the rest of it outside.  It marked the end of a very fun chapter of life here in Barrow.  I didn’t take my generous friends up on their offers to borrow their bikes as contributing to the demise of one was enough for my conscience and replacing theirs, if needed, would be expensive.

I’m loving being on foot again and find myself more inspired to write.  The time walking is reflective and it takes close to three times as long to arrive at my destinations.  When bike riding, my mind is focused on the fun I’m having with much internal dialog including silent outbursts of “This is amazing!”  “Woo hoo!”  “Thank you, God!” and “What a great way to start the day!”  Not much deep reflection there, although a whole lot of fun!

I’m considering ordering another Road Master from Walmart in the spring time when the riding is the best.  The skies are sunny and a spectacular blue and the snow is still here, compacted and perfect for riding.  My favorite route is across the ice on the large lagoon...there's nowhere quite like it.  

If I do purchase one, I’ll need to be faithful about keeping it clean once the mud invades.  At its price, I could purchase one a year, although I’m not sure that’s the most ecologically-friendly plan.  It wouldn’t be wise to bring my more expensive bike up…the conditions are just not favorable for keeping it in good shape.   


Ideas welcomed and appreciated.  What do you all think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR

DODGING MUD PUDDLES AND PASSING PROBATION