ALIVE AND WELL IN SUNNY BARROW

It's been some time since I've visited or posted to the blog but in looking back on my last entry, I could have left the impression that I didn't survive the outing to scout for polar bears.  Unfortunately there were none who wanted to be seen on the Saturday Jan, Mari, Rita and I ventured out in the small car Jan had borrowed. It was a wonderful afternoon though with the sun beaming from low on the horizon, promising longer days and the ability to see again the stunning Arctic beauty after a long, comfortingly dark winter.

My father passed in early January.  I'd been fortunate enough to see him and Mom several times over the past year and know that he's in a brighter place now.  Our family and his many friends will miss him in ways that are difficult to describe but I think feel his presence to some degree at different times.  The sound of his laugh is easy to recall and I smile remembering listening to his thought processes as he explained something to me, always in a logical and detailed way.  I miss the sound of his voice now and the telling of his many stories...they still make me smile.  I mentioned in several previous posts that during his early years of flying in Alaska, he was based out of Barrow as a bush pilot, flying along the northern coast delivering mail and supplies to the small outlying villages...when he was 22 years old.  Dad...you're very missed and very loved.  

I'm wrapped in a fleece blanket as I write.  The cold penetrates the windows and walls of my apartment and sitting for an extended amount of time enhances the cool effect.  It's sunnier for longer and longer each day, each week...the unobstructed sun gloriously shining on the endless expanses of white sea ice to the north and the frozen, snow-covered tundra to the south.  There really isn't a more beautiful place on earth this time of year, I'm very sure. But then, if I were on a warm beach somewhere, I'm sure I would think that it would win this distinction.  Barrow has woken to temperatures ranging from -59 F, -38 F, -9 F, etc. over the past two weeks.  Yesterday it was -39 F.  Right now it's only -19 F.  

My time these days is mostly spent working extended hours at the clinic, preparing for and taking village trips for school screening and immunizations and studying US History when I'm home evenings and weekends.  As my son, Peter, would say though "it's all good".  I'd prefer to be less scheduled but on the other hand am extremely grateful for the opportunities I've been given.  I'm part way through the RN-BSN online program through the University of Texas and hope to complete it by next spring.  Reconstruction of the South after the Civil War is a vast contrast to the culture and activities of life in Barrow.  I long for the time when I can fully embrace life here when I'm here and not be preoccupied with remembering why the British were in conflict regarding lending support to the Confederate states and what the northern Republican requirements were for their rejoining the union.  Whaling crews here are beginning to pull their sleds out onto the ice, breaking trail to open leads. I'm seeing them as I walk to work and back daily, recalling my studies.  

I'm more than grateful for an upcoming two weeks in Washington to visit my daughter, Lisa, and her family, meet Mom for an early birthday lunch on her way through and see an old Fairbanks friend.  I feel relieved in knowing that the days will be more relaxing, that I'll soon be hugging these very special people and that there will be two little girls wrapping their Oma nicely around their 10 fingers.  Well, not really...it's not in their best interest, but they'll be wrapping themselves effortlessly and completely around my heart. 

I sincerely hope this finds you thriving, in great health and enjoying life in every aspect.   

From sunny Barrow = )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR

ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012