MY NEW SLED TO BE

I’m keeping my eye out for a good cardboard box that might transform into a good sled.  I discovered this weekend that it’s cost effective to order things online from here with relatively low shipping costs, so placed orders for cod liver oil (mmm…just can’t get enough), flax energy bars, vitamin supplements, pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds.  With being able to order many things online and not having a vehicle, I’ll need a sled to put the boxes in, maybe strapping them on with bungee cords and pulling my load with a rope.  None of the boxes containing my things looks like very good candidates so far, but the Post Office assured me that another pallet had arrived late last week.  A sled will be in the making very soon.  Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.  I know I could break down and buy one, but I’m asking myself why I would need to do that when resources at hand probably abound?  Am still waiting for the two boxes Sandi sent and for the one I sent priority from Maple Valley on 10/9.  The Post Office said that they had a change of contracts with their air carriers, so many pieces are in Anchorage still.  I may start eating books and bedding if the boxes containing some food don’t arrive soon. 

For things related to my move up, I’m able to call the North Slope Borough Expediters for help.   The trick is to be ready just in case they pull up outside without letting you know they’re on their way.  This means being dressed in my heated vest, down and outer jackets with wool socks and boots on and mittens and hat ready for the call from the front desk that they’re outside and waiting.  I kept them waiting while I donned all my gear last time and am determined to take less of their time in the future.  It is so hot wearing all this gear in the office though while hoping that they come by…it could be any time, really, or it could be a few hours away.  I’m grateful for their help and foresee just two more trips with them.   When they introduced themselves last time, JC told me his name and said that the woman’s name who was helping him was Lupe.  I called her Lupe quite a few times before they laughed and told me that her name was Kathy and that she was dubbed Lupe by JC because she made him loopy or crazy.  As long as I get my boxes, I’m good with all names.  They really are genuinely nice people and it was fun lining up with them from the truck to my storage area, tossing the more manageable boxes to each other and hefting the heavier ones. 

I’m sleeping very deeply here and remembering some of my dreams, probably because of the therapeutic effects of my daily treks through the snow and wind.  The other night I dreamed that I was riding my bicycle down an extremely steep hill.  It was all I could do to hold the brakes so that I didn’t go careening down without control.  I didn’t feel afraid, just challenged to hang on and make it to the bottom without falling but I knew that I could do it.  It crossed my mind that I had ridden up the hill before turning to go down again.  After pondering what the dream might mean, it occurred to me that going through prerequisites and nursing school was the uphill climb and now, this opportunity to become a public health nurse in Alaska is like sailing down a hill…hanging on, no pedaling involved, just enjoying the adventure with learning and growing happening at a very fast pace.
Hope you all have had an interesting and enjoyable weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR

DODGING MUD PUDDLES AND PASSING PROBATION