FARL: A SUCKLING PIG BORN WITH A STRAIGHT TAIL INSTEAD OF A CURLY ONE…


…a small thin triangular cake or biscuit made with oatmeal or whole wheat flour or an ancient coin from Gaul before the Roman conquest? 

If you guessed “a small thin triangular cake…” you’d be right.  I couldn't stop laughing while Jonathan kept a straight face, hoping to earn a point by Mari or I choosing the wrong definition.  While I chose the ancient coin, Mari took the lead with the correct answer.

It was my turn next…I chose the word “lossy” and burst out laughing as I came up with my definitions:  the hub of a wagon wheel, a fashionable bonnet of the 17th century, and causing attenuation or dissipation of electrical energy.  Score another point for Mari, who works in the planning department here and has a background in electrical work.

Mari was adept at keeping a straight face as she shared possible definitions for “plebe”:  anther-bearing stock of a stamen, a common citizen of ancient Rome, or a square base serving as a block.  This was no contest for Jonathan who chose the second definition, having studied Latin for several years while in law school. 

Jonathan tried stumping Mari and I with “kafir”:   traditional head dress of a Hindu priest, Chinese pottery made of dark clay and a grain sorghum with stout short-jointed juicy stalks.   The third choice seemed somehow right, finally scoring me a coveted point.

“Ordo”, I said, laughing even before giving my definitions:  a list of offices and feasts of the Roman Catholic Church for each day of the year, the gullet of a wood pecker or the insert of a man’s leather shoe put in to preserve the integrity of the leather.  Jonathan asked me what kind of bird was in the second definition, so leaning back over the dictionary, I said “woodpecker”.  Score by virtue of diversionary tactic.  Jonathan chose this one while Mari chose the insert of the leather shoe. 

We’d gathered at my apartment for a potluck with Mari recounting her sighting of a large polar bear on the ocean earlier in the day.  She and her roommate, Shelly, live in a two story apartment building called 3200 which stands across the street from the tall fortress of sand and snow that one can see just before the beach on the vast, icy expanse of the Arctic Ocean.  Large tumbled blocks formed by sea ice being blown in and out are all one can usually see when scanning the ocean, but this morning, they had seen a majestic white polar bear, lumbering along the ice pack, stopping to stretch out in the sun before beginning to walk west again.  She had been able to take some pictures with her camera phone and then ones that were even closer through the telescope sitting on a tripod on their kitchen table for just such events.  Hearing Mari’s excitement made me long for the time when I’ll see my first polar bear.  I have a feeling that it won’t be long now.

It was interesting hearing Jonathan tell us how complicated his work as a lawyer here can be.  He works with families who are attempting to settle the estates of parents and grandparents.  He said that most Inupiat people here do not have wills, so when someone passes away, there is no organized way to pass homes or possessions on to children and grandchildren.  He said that it’s all very complicated and that the procedures are very long and drawn out, sometimes with no resolution between family members.  Jonathan is of Chinese descent although is family has lived in South Africa for three or four generations.  He most recently lived in Seattle after graduating from law school, wanting to work there, but like myself, was not able to find a new graduate position, so is here in Barrow and grateful for the job he has. 

My first pot luck felt like a success with enjoyable conversation, lots of laughter and sharing of good food. Before they left, we talked about and agreed to volunteer together at the archaeology lab at the Barrow Arctic Research Consortium.  We’ll begin orientation this Saturday morning, although Mari was reluctant to giving up time that would otherwise be spent shopping, going to a spa, having a manicure, and taking in a movie…maybe in a past life, but not within 500 miles of Barrow!  I think I’m going to like her sense of humor.  I look forward to getting to know her and Jonathan better and to what we’ll be amazed by at the archaeology lab.  Posts coming up = )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR

DODGING MUD PUDDLES AND PASSING PROBATION