HIKING FLAT TOP MOUNTAIN - ANCHORAGE

I haven’t written to the blog in quite a while but had a dream about hiking in Sitka early this morning that brought up some thoughts that I wanted to get down before they slip away.  Life in this remote place can have quite a pace and one consciously has to slow down and reflect or it just might not happen. 

Friends from here have gone fishing in Kenai and Homer, camping in Adak, and have visited Nome, Fairbanks, Denali and Anchorage as well as other rural parts of Alaska this summer, returning with fish and stories of hikes that just about pushed me over the edge of my current state of contentment, momentarily causing me a sense of longing to be above sea level and to be hugging a tree instead of in the Arctic.  Some reported waking in rain-soaked tents, being invited into villagers’ homes to share meals, or being buzzed by swarms of mosquitoes but all shared how wonderful it was to see and explore other parts of Alaska. 

My dream reminded me that I haven’t shared photos of a trip in May to Anchorage.  It was wonderfully in the 70’s, unusually warm for spring time there.  The adolescent conference I attended was nicely sandwiched between a sunny night and an equally beautiful morning before my return trip home.  In Barrow this summer there have been occasional short stretches of days where temperatures rose to the 40’s and 50’s and a few degrees higher, but our average temperatures, factoring in the wind…and it’s always a factor because there are no trees, hills or mountains to reduce it, have been in the 20’s.  Had I known this while in Anchorage I might have enjoyed the tropical-feeling weather even more. 

Anchorage is just over 700 miles south of Barrow and still far enough north to experience sun well into the night.  The flight I landed on arrived just after 5 pm so after checking into my hotel and making a stop to pick up some dinner in the form of fresh fruit and nuts, I set off for a good hike.  Flat Top Mountain, on the southeast perimeter of Anchorage, sounded like a perfect place to enjoy a break from work and to drink in views of the surrounding mountains as well as the inlet beyond Anchorage.

On my drive to the trail head, I saw two moose along Hill Top Drive so turned and parked along the road and watched them for a while.  A cow and her calf were eating leaves from trees and bushes in a ditch at the edge of a yard.  I think my being so near may have startled the calf as it went bounding up and into the yard, equally alarming people who were sunbathing, causing them to bolt for the house.  Not wanting to cause more disruption, I circled around to resume my drive to Flat Top, stopping for a moment longer beside the cow.  I was surprised at how calm she was and that she didn’t seem to mind my being close to her.  She’s probably seen many admirers and has grown used to them while her shiny-coated offspring is new to this sort of thing.







I hadn’t intentionally chosen the trail that leads up the south side of the mountain, but wasn’t disappointed that I had.  The elevation gain was noticed right away, causing me to stop and enjoy the panorama of views.  My nursing job in Barrow and the villages necessitates working a fair number of late nights and some weekends as well as continual exposer to cold weather, so I took a restful respite along the trail to soak in the sun and warmth.  I could see a large house sitting alone on a lower shoulder of a mountain across a valley to the south and day dreamed about the peace that its inhabitants enjoyed  and the views they saw on a daily basis.  


I looked up to see my friend the mountain and wondered if I would, in my weary state, make it to the top and back before the evening was over. 



I was overdue for a talk with my parents, so from my sunny spot in the warm earth not far from the trail, gave them a call.   Their history in different parts of Alaska is rich and along with catching up on events in each of our lives, I always love hearing about their experiences and perspectives.  While deep into an enjoyable conversation with Mom, a couple walked by and asked if I was alright.  I must have looked as though I needed some help, resting even before the hike was begun.  My mother was glad to hear that there were other people on the trail and I was grateful too because this route wasn’t one I’d taken before and wanted to ask them some questions.  Mom and I talked longer and then I set off on the path and soon came across Dilia and Andrew. 




I learned that they had arrived that afternoon from New York City and how much they needed this hike and break from their busy lives as well.  It was their first trip to Alaska and they were already enthralled with the beauty and wide open spaces they were taking in on their first hike.  We walked together and talked about many things, including at different points, what looked like the best route to the top.  Should we take what looked like a more direct, but more arduous route across a ravine or should we traverse the snow field that the other path promised?

Our conversations included our work--Andrew shared that he had retired from banking several years earlier and had started a foundation that funds computers in orphanages in South America and Africa, giving children skills that would increase their potential for happy, successful and prosperous futures.  Dilia is a singer-songwriter, is fluent in Spanish and according to Andrew, has one of the most beautiful voices he’s ever heard.  Dalia shared that she had always wanted to be involved in helping children but had decided to not marry.  After meeting each other in New York the previous year and discovering their shared passion for children, they found a way to work together, incorporating Dilia’s music into Andrew’s visits to the orphanages, especially those in South America.  He said that the children loved that Dalia was part of his team and that he couldn’t imagine going without her.  Over time they realized that they wanted more than a working relationship and were planning to marry soon—they couldn’t have looked happier.  Here are the links to their websites:

www.orphanedstarfish.org
www.diliamusica.com
www.arteamor.org

We enjoyed our hike as well as the views and took it as a good sign and one of welcome as a bald eagle circled overhead after we’d reached the top.  














I didn’t stay long as my morning would begin early, so enjoyed the edible contents of my backpack, sharing what I’d brought with a squirrel before wishing Dilia and Andrew well and starting my run down the mountain.  I was energized now and enjoyed jumping over rocks, high-stepping through the snow and flying around corners propelled by the descending terrain.  I slowed where small loose rocks and dirt made the going tenuous, not wanting to have Andrew and Dilia find me, truly in need of help because of a broken or sprained leg, on their way down the mountain.   







Here are some views from the drive back of the sun setting across the inlet and beyond Mount Susitna, Sleeping Lady.  It had been a glorious evening.




I'm looking very forward to future and more numerous trips to explore other parts of Alaska with family and friends.  So many of its remote and beautiful places are calling to me.  

As on any trip south of Barrow, I took time to fill two plastic totes with 100 pounds of produce before catching my flight back.  The temperature was not far above zero so I traded in my tennis shoes, flip flops and summer clothes for Arctic gear again.  I’d thoroughly enjoyed my time away and benefited by all that I’d learned at the conference, but it was good too to be home, sweet home.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful photos, and what a terrific hike. I love that you made two new friends on the way! Wish I could send you some fruits and vegetables from here, but it sounds like you have a system that's working very well. :)
    Laurie from McDonald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Laurie...that's so kind of you! It's a good system, for sure and is giving me some good workouts carrying those 50 lb totes around = ) Hope the fall there in Seattle is wonderful...am thinking about those beautiful fall colors!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR

DODGING MUD PUDDLES AND PASSING PROBATION