ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012


I think someone is stuck on the ice outside my apartment window this morning. The sound of spinning wheels is alerting me to the new environment I find myself in. It must be around 3 am as it’s very dark outside, but no, it’s 9. I haven’t checked the temperature yet, but hope it is at least cold enough to be blog-worthy.

I arrived to snow-covered twilight; flying into Barrow last night was magical. I walked, only because it was too slippery to jog, across the tarmac and into the hustle of people in big jackets, laughing children in parkas, and hugging couples in the small terminal to find Darlene Lord, the Director of Public Health. She greeted me warmly with her characteristic smile and jokes about the number of bags I brought on the plane. Did it seem like a lot, I asked? No, she brought twice that amount with her, enlisting her sister, a community health aid flying in for training to host two of her large and heavy tubs.
I’m staying in a nicely furnished three bedroom apartment that the Health Department temporarily makes available for nurses. Am I ever glad I am one…finally. A silk flower arrangement and warm card welcoming me to Barrow and my career as a public health nurse lay on the dresser. Julie Serstad, the Deputy Director of Community Health who oversees many programs, including Public Health, the Senior Center, WIC, and the Veterinary Clinic had slipped it on the dresser in my new room. I have a feeling that I’m going to enjoy working here with this friendly and caring group of people.
Before Darlene left for the night, I asked what she thought about my going out for a walk. She said that she didn’t advise it as the roads were very slippery and that polar bears could grip the ice with their claws and that I couldn’t. Hmmm...which box did I pack my claws in? I later regretted asking as I was excited to get out and get some fresh air and exercise and wanted to return with rosy-cheeks and a smile, but will have plenty of time. I hope the bears come to see me as a pretty meager meal prospect. Darlene did say that it was safe to walk in the morning and that many people did, even along the ocean, just keeping a lookout for bears. The attorney I sat next to on the plane advised me to also watch out for rabid foxes.
While packing in Washington, I casually slipped a small pair of scissors into the 65 pound box that I would be checking in on my flight to Barrow. The box was filled with a variety of essentials…my Brevelle juicer, my thermal lunch bag (will I really need a thermal lunch bag?), back packs, notebooks, my iron, winter jackets and vests, wool socks, Arctic boots, tennis shoes and assorted baggies of pumpkin, sesame and flax seeds. I know I should be grateful that the scissors lanced only the half pound bag of flax seeds, phenomenally bursting and dispersing into every corner of the box. Ah, for less of a driven personality, one not compelled to shake out flax-covered clothing, rinse seeds from various containers and surfaces and vacuum the flax-seed laden floor at midnight.  Note to self:  don't do this again...plastic bags and scissors under pressure don't make a good combination, although they do generate an opportunity for late night exercise.  
The day was a quiet one.  I’m anxious to begin work on Friday and to interacting with my new co-workers and clients.  But I was thankful for a day of accomplishing things that need to be done before then.  I now have a PO box and a library card and a better sense of direction.  While at the post office, I learned that many of the 68 boxes I mailed up from Washington have arrived, so will be picked up in the morning and begin hauling them to the adequate storage area in the apartment building.  I stood in line between two Eskimo men, speaking in Inupiaq to each other.  I enjoyed the soft and blunted sounds of their words and their obvious good will towards each other.  There is no charge to have a PO box here and no home delivery.  The kind woman who helped me called after me as I left her counter, “welcome to Barrow, Susi!”
Walking around today was invigorating, slipping and sliding on the ice while breathing in the cold, fresh air.  In order to see, I will need to invest in a pair of goggles of some sort.  The combination of dry falling snow and a strong wind made keeping my eyes open painful.  The snow relented in the early evening though, allowing for an hour long walk along the lagoon from Browersville, past the airport and to Barrow proper to explore.  My cheeks are definitely rosy and I am as happy as I can ever remember being, feeling very alive here in this beautiful place and excited to begin nursing.
No vacuuming to do tonight…will keep a promise to myself to be asleep by 10 pm.
 
 


Comments

  1. Thank you for taking me with you as you travelled to Barrow to begin your career as a nurse. What an adventure
    1 I guess one day you'll laugh about the flax seeds everywhere. I always like to hear what a place is like through the eyes of someone I know. I look forward to more blog posts. I used to write blogs about my experiences in China, but I found it more convenient to use Facebook for short posts and photos. I know you will have so many interesting experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long is your teaching assignment in China, Cathy? I enjoyed reading about your project the other day and hope that with some tweeking, it turned out to be very successful with your students. I'm having difficulty posting photos online because of the intermintent internet service here, so will try painting them with words in my posts.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Sue on your new job as a nurse in Barrow and your new blog. Both are big adventures. I love it. You are a very creative writer and I will look forward to your posts. .... Stay safe from the polar bears and foxes on your walks. Enjoy the beautiful surroundings and so good talking with you last night.
    I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! Happy birthday tonight! I love you too!

      Delete
  3. I am so happy for you Sis:) Thank you for sharing this with all of us, your beautiful spirit shines through. Will look forward to hearing about your first day on the job and all the adventures ahead. Please watch out for the carnivores, remember they are not picky, they eat big and small. Will send up a big bag of flax and a pair of ski goggles! Love you, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading these comments and couldn't help bursting out laughing (with relief) that my always benevolent sister is sending supplies. You are always, to the core, so kind, Sam. Love you too, big time, Susi

      Delete
  4. Congratulations again Susi (love your new name!) on your posting to Barrow. Am definitely looking forward to your blogposts. Hope to have a chance to visit one day!
    Mary Bek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary! Would love for you to come up for a visit! I learned today that Kivgiq lasts for a week instead of three days and that it may happen every two years instead of three. My sister in Pennsylvania was able to find some good air fare rates, but said that the shortest travel time was 21 hours from there. You could knit yourself a warm scarf and some mittens on the way = )

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR