DRUMMING AND DANCING IN WAINWRIGHT









I was tired from a long day at the clinic on Thursday night, but the moment the drumming began, all traces of fatigue faded away.  I was caught up in the rich sounds being produced, beginning with a soft tapping on the rims and working up to an energetic beating of the skin of the drums made from the liver membrane of the bowhead whale.  Dancers began to fill the floor in front of the drummers and watching them made me think of my trip to Barrow with Dad as a teenager.  I saw the drumming and dancing there and have recalled it in my mind many times over the years.  It’s a large part of what drew me back to Alaska and especially to Barrow.  I asked one of the Bodfish women if she knew what the movements of a particular dance meant and she said that she didn’t have any idea.  I later learned that most families have their own songs and dances, many that have been passed down through the generations from their ancestors. 

 
I’ve posted photos here, but unfortunatly, the videos that capture the incredible energy of both the drumming and dancing couldn't be uploaded.  The evening was unforgettable.  I fell to sleep hearing the wonderful sounds of the drums that night and for several nights to come. 

Comments

  1. Susi, your photos and tales of the drumming remind me of my times with my Haida community on Haida Gwaii. Yes, the drumming remains in your head for long after you wander home! To be there, and a part of the celebrations, is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, M. I wasn't familiar with where Haida Gwaii is, so googled and found where it's located in BC and watched a video describing it and some of the Haida culture. Wonderful seeing the land, water, totems, colorful clothing and things made with grass, etc. Do you have opportunities to return there and to hear the drumming again?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR

DODGING MUD PUDDLES AND PASSING PROBATION