WEATHER, TRUCK OR TRAIL BLAZER, AND MUKTUK

Using Bertrand’s truck to move was a blessing, but necessitated extra efforts and responsibilities that I’ll be grateful to turn back over to his care tonight.  He, Kim and their son, August, are on vacation in Indiana and New Mexico so he offered me the use of either their pickup truck or Chevy trail blazer while gone.  The pickup, he said, was filled with old tires and snow and he wasn’t sure my boxes would stay in, but I could use it if I wanted.  The trail blazer has a slow rear passenger tire leak so would need to be filled up frequently.  This sounded like more responsibility than I wanted, so I decided that the truck might be good if I could shovel the snow out and rearrange the tires to make room for my boxes.  Bertrand said that he thought the trail blazer might be the more dependable vehicle as the truck doesn’t start or dies frequently and that he had to run an extension cord of some type out the driver window…I can’t remember why.  He was very patient with my decision-making process and didn't seem to mind my bouts of laughter in considering my choices. The trail blazer it was = ).  On the way to drop them off at the airport, Kim mentioned that there was no rear view mirror and that it takes a while to get used to not having one.  It did present some challenges when backing up, but now I can't imagine driving in a car with one...haha.  The gas pump at the (only) gas station was out of order for more than a week, but the tire seemed frozen, so didn't lose all of its air.  The pump was working again yesterday, so Bertrand and Kim will come home to a vehicle in no less worse condition than when they left. 

I was able to find and dig out a long yellow electrical cord coming out of the exterior wall of the itinerant house and plug the trail blazer in when not in use to keep the engine from freezing.  All vehicles up here seem to have remote starters so that the engines can be warmed for 15 to 30 minutes before engaging them.  I haven’t discovered how to turn on the heater in the trail blazer, so although a great mode for moving and a quicker way to transport oneself to the post office before it closes or to the Eskimo dance Julie and I went to together, it is actually about as cold as walking except for being protected from the wind.  My feet have been cold and hurting with lack of movement, so was happy when the long weekend and move were over and I began to walk to work again.    

I've discovered that when walking, it is easier to keep oneself cheerful, enjoying the beauty of all that can be seen or barely seen.  While in a vehicle, there is a distance between oneself and the weather almost creating a sense of opposition between the two.  It seems darker and colder when in a vehicle as well.  I've been extremely grateful for the use of the trail blazer, but am happy to be on foot again. 

Mike, a good friend in Washington, knowing of my need for a way to haul packages from the post office to where I live, ordered and had sent a very sturdy deer cart.  It's bigger than what I need for trips to the post office, but will be perfect if I take up caribou hunting and is a wonderful example of the generosity and caring of good friends.  It was also my back up plan if no vehicle was available for my move.  I'll wait to call on Goce, Dave and Jovan's kindness until my furniture crates arrive, hopefully in several weeks.  Moving boxes, even 68 of them, I can do, but their help soon will be invaluable.       

It’s been cold lately and when not hauling boxes, one feels it.  Before Christmas we had several days when the temperature dropped to –50 F.  Most mornings I call the Naval observatory here for a weather report (907-852-0000), but on the first of the coldest day, I hadn’t.  It felt extremely cold walking down onto the lagoon and up again on the other side, making my way to work.  Brrrr…  When I called the weather line after arriving, I learned how cold it was.  It’s always, without exception, refreshing to leave work each day and step out into the cold darkness.  This day was different though…more chilling to the bone than refreshing, even in the first moments.  I couldn’t help laughing though as I wrapped my head in my two face masks, pulled my hat down as far as possible and pushed against the wind, finally arriving at the itinerant apartment where I was welcomed by the warmth beyond the door.  I have missed living in Alaska for many years, and here I am having an ultimate Alaskan experience. 

I called the next morning and held my breath as the announcer said, “The current temperature is minus fif…”  I was afraid of how the word might end, but relieved when he said “…teen below zero.”  This took place for several days before I relaxed when calling.  It reached –50 F again but I wore another layer and felt more prepared.  Unfortunately, the battery in the heated vest my sister, Sandi, sent me stopped working when I last charged it in late November.  I'm depending on layers of clothing and sparse body fat to keep me warm.

I have strongly considered eating the muktuk in my freezer as a way to add some fat to my diet, so thawed out a piece last week.  I sliced it thinly and found it very difficult to chew, being more like leather than the delicacy it seemed to be at the Thanksgiving Feast.  I told Nellie, our receptionist, who is Inupiat and has lived in Barrow all of her life about my experience, wanting her advice.  She looked at me with a puzzled expression as if waiting for me to add something that sounded more like a problem.  When I asked her if it was supposed to seem like leather, she said, "Yes!  Just chew it...it's supposed to be that way. It's good for your teeth!" and laughed.  She said that boiling it would help to soften it up, so I'll try that.  I can only take so much disappointment in a short period of time = ), so will venture in the near future, but not today, to make palatable meals with the muktuk I have on hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR

DODGING MUD PUDDLES AND PASSING PROBATION