MOVING DAY…HOW TO STAY HOT AT 20 BELOW

Last weekend I began shoveling the drifted and packed two feet of snow on the ramp opening up into the area where I’ve been storing the many boxes I shipped up from Washington in early October.  When I stepped out the door, layered in warm clothing and shovel in hand It was -14 ᵒ F.  By the time I’d made a small dent in the packed snow on the 15 foot ramp and beyond, I was hot enough to take off my face mask and began making trips inside for tall glasses of cold water.

Today is moving day and it’s -20 ᵒ F.  It’s dark here now all of the time although the sky lightens slightly in the afternoon and is a beautiful, deep blue.  This morning it was very dark, so I felt as though I was beginning my move closer to midnight than at 9:00 in the morning.  I finished the shoveling, creating a wide path down the ramp and into the parking area where I’ll be loading the boxes.  I’m grateful that from store room to truck, the distance is not more than 25 feet.  I’m getting a better work out on the other end of the move though, unloading and carrying the boxes up three flights of stairs to my apartment at the far end of the hall.  No face mask or hat and less layers by the time the first load was completed.  Thinking that it had warmed up, I checked the temperature on a lunch break and it had dropped two degrees.  Still feels hot to me though = )

I signed the paperwork and picked up the key for the new apartment on Thursday.  I had seen it several weeks ago and had fallen in love with it.  It’s on the second floor of the “I” building, several blocks closer to the ocean than where I am now.  It’s spacious with lots of storage room, wood shelving in the bedroom closet, clean walls, carpets and appliances, new and abundant cabinets in the kitchen and wide window sills.  I noticed a room off of the living room that looked as though there had been a stacked washer and dryer there at one time.  The young woman giving me a tour explained that there was a common laundry room downstairs so I could use this room for storage or anything I liked.  The washer/dryer unit had broken and wasn’t going to be replaced. 

When I met with the housing office on Thursday, I learned that in addition to the $1,800 deposit for the apartment, that there is a $400 deposit for the utilities.  I’m seeing this extra surprise as a way to earn air miles, but it is a bit rough on the immediate budget.  Am being diligent about keeping other expenses at a minimum until I recover = ).  On the other hand, both deposits are refundable when I move out in the future.    

While waiting at the cashier’s desk, I saw a sign about the advantages of buying laundry tokens as opposed to using quarters, so inquired about this and learned that the “I” building is the only one without a common laundry room as all of the apartments have their own washer and dryer.  I inquired where I would be able to do my laundry, not being altogether composed, actually feeling close to tears.  The staff who were helping me empathized and began to brain storm with me for a solution.  I could take my laundry to the dry cleaners.  It’s located near where I work, so I could carry a bag full along with my normal back pack across the lagoon to Barrow from Browerville and drop off the laundry during my lunch hour.  I wasn’t excited about this idea as it sounds labor and time intensive and after talking with my co-workers later at lunch, I learned that the cost of having a bag of laundry done there is $60.  I could buy new clothes online every week for the same amount…something to consider.    

The next option presented was purchasing my own washer/dryer unit.  There might be some in stock at Spenard Builder’s Supply, out on the West end of town.  My co-workers later said that this might be the way to go as they would deliver and install it, however the cost would be close to $1,200.  I like earning air miles, but this seemed like it would be an awfully big hit in my budget for one day.

I, in so many words, however diplomatic, expressed to the housing staff that this was not an acceptable situation…that I needed to be able to do my laundry at an affordable cost.  I was offered an apartment in the E building where there is a laundry room on the first floor.  I had been to the E building several weeks ago and purchased a couch from Emma, a young attorney who was moving to Anchorage.  Her apartment was very small and dark with old cabinets and carpeting.  It was this apartment that was available.  Quickly weighing in my mind the pros and cons of both situations, I expressed my gratitude, but said this particular apartment wasn’t one that I wanted, still hoping for a good solution.  I asked if I could do my laundry in the E building but was told that because I wasn’t a tenant, it wasn’t allowed.  I was also politely reminded that I was fortunate to have any apartment.  Because my public health nursing position is essential to the community (once I’m fully trained = ), I was given preference and moved to the top of a long housing list.  It’s interesting how one can move from near despair to complete gratitude in a very short time depending on the perspective.  I’m giving the laundry dilemma a rest, trusting that in the end everything will work out and that I’ll look back and feel grateful and see this as a blessing.  In the meantime and maybe as a permanent solution, I’ll ask if I can walk back to the itinerant housing and use the washer and dryer there.      

A great first day of moving with half of the boxes in the new apartment, many unloaded and their contents put away.  A woman leaving the building early in the day introduced herself as Karen, saying that she lives in apartment 3.  I told her my name and apartment number and smiled inside and out when she said, “Welcome home!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR

DODGING MUD PUDDLES AND PASSING PROBATION