CHRISTMAS FUN IN BARROW

Darlene knocked on my door last Friday night looking like a snow man with red cheeks, a smile and a back pack with shoes she brought to change into at the Health Department Christmas party.  I looked a lot like her as we walked past the store, the library, and the Heritage Center, around a few bends and arrived at Eben Hopson Middle School, where the party was being held.  I was amazed to see many women dressed in clothes similar to those worn in major cities, mostly beautiful, glittery red dresses, having driven in warm vehicles to the party.  It was tempting to feel out of place in my REI pants, but nice sweater and shoes until seeing the veterinarian, Sara, in her Carhartt jacket made beautiful by her smile and talents on the key board. 

Many families attended, children played and had their pictures taken with Santa, carols were sung, and karaoke brought out the soloists in some.  A gift exchange left everyone with the original one they had chosen or one they liked better taken from someone who had picked one earlier.  I opted for a wrapped gift still on the table and came home with a beard trimmer.  I hope I don’t ever grow whiskers, but I’ll be ready if I do = ).   

The food was amazing…all-you-could-eat King crab, prime rib, baked potatoes, salad and desserts. I had no problem falling off the wagon of my mostly raw food diet, having missed King crab since leaving Alaska so many years ago and was pleasantly surprised to learn that there was enough for people to take a second helping home. 

On Saturday, Darlene and I walked a mile in the other direction across the dam separating the upper and lower lagoons, still looking very much like snow men.  The Lion’s Club was holding an all-day bizarre and talent show at Ipalook Elementary School, so we joined what looked like, the rest of Barrow there.  Five hours later we were still surrounded by swarms of laughing people, long rows with tables of many sorts of crafts, food vendors and friends and co-workers. 

A local photographer, John Tidwell, had a display of the amazing photos he’s taken of polar bears out on the ice.  He told me about how tricky it was to get some of the shots, pushing his luck many times, wanting the perfect picture.  Here’s a link where he’s interviewed…very interesting to read:


Door prizes were awarded hourly and at five o’clock many numbers were called and prizes distributed.  Darlene, Adeline, a community health aid instructor, and I all sat together, happy but exhausted, listening for each other’s number.  I was lost in thought when Adeline elbowed me and said loudly, “they called your number!” I went to the front to receive my gift bag and was pleasantly surprised that it contained a Rosetta Stone program on learning Inupiaq, the language of the Inupiat people living here on the North Slope of Alaska.  I had been talking with Julie earlier and she shared that she’d just finished her first class in Inupiat at Ilisagvik College and that the instructor had recommended using Rosetta Stone as the best way to learn the language.  I was thrilled to have won a copy and plan to start using it after Christmas.  We all caught a ride home, feeling happy, but looking a bit like Santa in the photo below, ready for a long winter's nap.

Julie told me that a group of tuba players would be performing at the local grocery store this afternoon, so I went, looking forward to hearing a live band.  A group of seven musicians from Barrow High School and Ilisagvik College set up chairs in the deli section of the store, tuned up and introduced themselves, saying that they were part of a larger group of tuba players, called Christmas Tuba, who played at many different areas around the United States, all playing the same Christmas songs.  The tradition began in Rockefeller Center in New York City 39 years ago.  Members from any tuba group are able to play with those in any other city when they’re traveling.  I was honored to hear our local Christmas Tuba band play.  I videotaped their performance, but unfortunately, the file is too large to post. 













Potlucks at work and gatherings at friends’ and co-workers’ homes are more welcome ways to have a meaningful Christmas here in Barrow.  The trick is reserving enough energy to take them all in = ).  Will be enjoying lefsa making at Julie’s with other co-workers tomorrow.  Am loving this small community where getting together after work and on weekends with others is common.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR

DODGING MUD PUDDLES AND PASSING PROBATION