THANKSGIVING IN BARROW

Wishing each person reading the blog a very happy Thanksgiving day--even those who don’t live in the United States where it’s celebrated today.  I hope you all feel similar to how I do—that there is much to be grateful for…more than can be listed, much of it on such deep levels that it would be difficult to put into words.  I hope this finds each of you feeling as though your lives are blessed and that they truly are. 

If not, I hope that doors of blessings begin to open and that you find yourself in that bright place where there is only goodness…no self-doubts, no worries, no lack of any sort and no limitations…only a sense of being unconditionally loved and that life is bright and new, waiting for your happy participation. 

I love writing and am honored that other people are finding the adventures and even the daily life here interesting.  Every once in a while I’m tempted to quit blogging, thinking “who would be interested in reading about my walks to work, what I do in the clinic, how long it takes a package to arrive, the price of cucumbers, the friends I’m making, etc?”  Then when visiting the blog stats I’m amazed to see that as well as people here in the United States, others from as far away as Russia, France, Germany, Sweden, Poland, the UK, Australia, Israel and Morocco have visited it.  Am sure life where each of you are is every bit as interesting as it is here in Barrow.  It must be the differences that make another person’s experiences interesting.  I should be reading your blogs too!

I can just imagine the roasting turkeys, the hot stuffing and mashed potatoes, the cranberry sauce, gravy and fresh pies all about ready to be enjoyed in so many of your homes around the US.  Mmmm…can you smell it as strongly as I can?

I’ll wrap up the two loaves of pumpkin bread I made last night and take it with me to one of the four feasts being held in Barrow this afternoon.  Whaling captains and their families harvested and reserved a certain amount of whale and seal meat, burying it along with caribou and other fish and game in underground ice cellars.  They dug it up earlier this week and will share it with anyone who attends the feasts today.  We’re told to bring zip lock bags and Tupperware to bring home some of the meat to freeze for later.  It will be interesting to try my first traditional native food and to have some on hand to experiment with different ways to prepare it. My first thought is sautéing it in coconut oil and lime.  Will let you know how it turns out = ).  And will most likely have a fresh supply in the freezer for when anyone who comes to visit.  Am very happy that my sister Sandi and nephews Stefan and Michael are planning a trip, most likely in July.  Will have to procure some caribou kidneys for them = ). 

I’ve loved talking with my daughter, granddaughters, son, sister and niece and look forward to connecting with other family members today as well.  I feel so blessed to have their blessings to be here, living and working so far away.  Vacations during spring and summer will find me happy to be spending time with family and friends again too. 

The sun has gone down now for the next 67 days, but the whiteness of the snow makes it easy to see where one is going and it’s not completely dark…it will get progressively more so, but is sort of like twilight today.  Will be, of course, fun walking across the lagoon to join others at the feast.  Wishing you all a joy-filled and memorable day wherever you are and whatever this finds you doing.

With love,
Susi       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR

DODGING MUD PUDDLES AND PASSING PROBATION