TRIP TO NUIQSUT WITH PHOTOS





















On Monday morning, Darlene, Susie Q and I (known as Susi P) met others at the airport where we boarded the plane and flew to Nuiqsut to put on the last health fair of the year.  It was similar in ways to the ones that had been held in the other villages, but I was particularly glad about being able to update 18 people with Tdap immunizations.  I think the location of my table had a lot to do with this high success rate. 

People stopped at the table Darlene and Susie Q manned where they were signed in and given cards that they would carry with them, receiving a stamp at each table.  A card filled with stamps netted a raffle ticket for some very nice door prizes.  Not strategically planned, but in hind sight, a very good idea, my table was the first people came to after signing in and receiving their cards.  Many of them sat in the chair located at the side of my table and said variations of, “so what do I have to do to get a stamp at your table…get a shot?  I’m ready.”  I assured them that they didn’t need to get a shot to receive a stamp but that I could check and see if they were due for one and if so, that I’d be happy to update them.  This went on the entire afternoon. 

My technique is getting very refined with many people saying, “I didn’t feel a thing.”  Music to my ears.  A group of teenagers stood around watching as I immunized their math teacher.  One had a video camera and said, “wow…did you see the way she did that?”  Am hoping I’m not getting carried away with my dart-like poke…if so, there must be a middle ground where people are still responding that it didn’t hurt but that my style isn’t drawing any attention.  Because the needles are retractable, there is a snapping or clicking sound right after the injection is given, but while the syringe is still next to the skin.  One woman heard the snap and cried out, “did the needle break off in my arm?”  She got an extra sticker for her braveness. 

The nurse from the hospital who was giving flu shots at the next table is here on a 13 week assignment from Kentucky.  He said that he was a long distance truck driver for years before deciding to become a nurse.  He graduated four years ago with a BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing), worked in an ICU and then ER’s in rural Kentucky and looking for a change, accepted the assignment here in Barrow.  His wife let him come on two conditions…that she would be able to visit half way through and that he stayed only the 13 weeks.  He said that he’s loved his work here, loved even more the visit from his wife, and had three weeks to go.  Have met so many interesting people here.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ARRIVING IN BARROW 1ST DAY OCT 10, 2012

GOOD MORNING ON THE EVE OF A NEW YEAR

DODGING MUD PUDDLES AND PASSING PROBATION